You may know that you can get car rental discounts if you’re a member of organizations like AAA and AARP or shopping clubs like Costco and BJ’s. For military members and their families, there’s another terrific option: United Services Automobile Association (USAA). Here’s how to find and apply USAA car rental discounts.
What is USAA?
The United Services Automobile Association (USAA) has over 13 million members who are past and present members of the armed forces, as well as their spouses and children.
The organization offers a number of financial services, including offering car rental discounts.
What is the USAA Car Rental Discount?
Some major rental car companies offer special discounts of up to 30% for USAA members, depending on the specific rental car company. In addition to a better price, USAA members often enjoy additional benefits such as unlimited mileage and a break on additional driver fees.
Which Companies Offer USAA Discounts?
Four car rental companies offer discounts for USAA members: Avis, Budget, Enterprise and Hertz. Here’s how they compare.
USAA offers the latest Avis deals through its members-only portal. Avis offers specific, time-limited promotions for USAA members in addition to discounts with a special coupon code. For example, we found a recent USAA offer to save up to 30% on base rates along with a free upgrade.
In addition to discounts, Avis offers several other benefits for USAA members:
- Avis waives the additional driver fee for spouses and domestic partners of USAA members, or another USAA member.
- Avis also waives loss-of-use fees, administrative fees and “diminutions of value” costs if the vehicle is involved in an accident.
- USAA members who rent from Avis are limited to the first $5,000 in liability for damages when declining the loss damage waiver (LDW).
- Avis offers bodily injury liability coverage of $25,000 for a single person or $50,000 per accident, and $10,000 for property damage per accident (or higher if required by state law).
USAA offers the latest Budget deals through the members-only section of its website. Budget also offers several discounts for USAA members. For example, we found recent deals offering 10% off of rates at neighborhood locations, free upgrades and $10 off of base rates when spending at least $175.
Budget also offers the same perks for USAA members as its sister company Avis does:
- Budget waives additional driver fees for USAA members’ spouses and domestic partners and additional USAA members.
- The company also waives loss-of-use fees, administrative fees and “diminutions of value” costs in the event of an accident.
- Budget limits liability for damages to the first $5,000 for USAA members in the absence of a loss damage waiver (LDW).
- Budget offers bodily injury liability coverage of $25,000 for a single person or $50,000 per accident, and $10,000 for property damage (or higher if required by state law).
Enterprise offers comprehensive benefits for USAA members, including discounts of up to 5% according to the USAA website. It also offers several other perks for USAA members, including:
- Primary liability coverage of up to $25,000 for bodily injury or death per person, $50,000 for bodily injury or death per accident, and $10,000 for property damage (or state minimum if higher).
- USAA members are only responsible for the first $7,500 in damages in the absence of a damage waiver (DW).
- Waived fees for underage drivers 21-24 who are eligible for USAA insurance.
- No additional driver fee for spouses or USAA family members.
- Loss-of-use fees are waived.
- Unlimited mileage for most rentals, excluding one-way trips.
Hertz offers a range of perks for USAA members as well as special discounts. Generally, Hertz will offer a standard discounted rate for USAA members that can usually be combined with special offers. For example, we recently found a coupon for discounts of up to 25% on time and mileage charges.
Hertz also offers extra perks for USAA members, including:
- Unlimited mileage on most USAA rentals.
- USAA members will be responsible for the first $5,000 in damages in case of an accident if they decline the loss damage waiver (LDW).
- Discounts on international rentals up to 10% may apply in certain countries.
- Booking USAA reservations through the Hertz Gold Plus Rewards program unlocks extra benefits like skipping the counter.
How to Book a USAA Car Rental Discount
When you ask AutoSlash for a quote, let us know if you are a USAA member and we will automatically apply the discount when we scour the Internet for the best publicly available discounts and deals. Then we can track your reservation for price drops, and let you know if you can save even more by canceling and rebooking at a lower rate. With AutoSlash, you never pay more than you have to.