Last Updated on September 30, 2022 by Kristin
Summer is almost here and teachers are about to have some much-needed time off from classes and grading papers. Renting a car is a great way to visit family and friends or go on a relaxing vacation. Here’s how teachers can get the very best price on a rental car.
When it comes to snagging car rental discounts, membership has its privileges.
NEA Members Can Snag a Car Rental Teacher Discount
For deals on rental cars—as well as a raft of other items, from cell phone bills to online shopping—the National Education Association union is the first place to look for discounts from major rental car companies.
The NEA website doesn’t specify how much you can save for every company, but the Hertz deal that lets teachers save up to 25 percent on the base rate is often unbeatable.
Here’s a quick rundown of the perks you can expect when renting a car with your NEA membership:
- Alamo: Get special NEA rates and seasonal coupons
- Dollar: Get 5 percent off of base rental rates and a special code for the Dollar Express Rewards program
- Enterprise: Discounted NEA member rate can be combined with other offers
- Hertz: Save up to 25 percent off the base rate and combine with other offers. Use promo code 50655.
- National: Special discounts that can be combined with other offers, such as weekly rental deals
State Teacher Associations for Car Rental Teacher Discounts
Some state teacher associations also offer great deals on car rentals in addition to NEA discounts. Many state websites for teachers note a special promo codes to use when booking. Here are a just a few examples of savings offered by state teacher associations:
- California Teachers Association: California’s teacher union offers car rental savings at Enterprise with reduced flat rates starting at $33 per day. This can be an especially good deal in areas where car rentals tend to be the most expensive, such as airports.
- Florida Department of Education: Florida teachers can save on car rentals at Avis, Budget, Hertz and Thrifty. Hertz is the standout deal at up to 25 percent off.
- Massachusetts Teachers Association: Massachusetts teachers who belong to this organization can save at a long list of rental companies, including Alamo Rent a Car, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Hertz, National, Thrifty and Zipcar. Standout discounts include up to 25 percent at Hertz and Budget, and up to 20 percent at Avis.
- New York State United Teachers: NYSUT members and their families can save on car rentals with Alamo, Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, and National. Notably, NYSUT members save 25 percent with Hertz, Avis or Budget or up to 30 percent if they opt for the “Pay Now” option with Avis or Budget.
Teacher Discounts at Smaller Rental Car Companies
Some of the smaller rental car companies may not have deals with the organizations mentioned above, but still offer discounts for teachers. For example, Sixt offers a teacher discount of up to 5 percent in savings.