Last Updated on January 16, 2021 by Chris
Looking for cheap car rental insurance?
Start by asking if you even need insurance. You may be already covered for rental car collision
damage. If you own a car and already have auto insurance, it is very likely your coverage extends to rental cars. Your credit card might also offer car rental insurance as a benefit.
But what if you don’t own a car? And what if your credit card doesn’t offer car rental insurance? If it turns out that you need supplemental coverage, know that there is a reliable, less expensive alternative than the insurance you’ll be offered at the rental counter.
AutoSlash is proud to partner with Sure in order to offer exceptional rental car coverage at a truly fantastic price.
Why Sure is a Good Car Rental Insurance Solution
Here’s the skinny:
- Sure offers three tiers of inexpensive plans that start as low as $6 per day. Keep in mind that the policy is priced per day and the cost fluctuates from state to state. For example, the Basic Plan may cost $6 per day in Texas and $6.75 per day in Florida. That’s still half the price you would pay for over-the-counter insurance at a car rental agency.
- Sure offers primary coverage. That means if you have an accident, you won’t have to file a claim with your personal auto insurance policy and jeopardize your premium—or pay your deductible.
- Sure’s Basic coverage includes Loss of Use and Diminution of Value. Many personal auto insurers and credit cards don’t.
- Sure’s Basic coverage includes towing. Many personal auto insurers and credit cards don’t cover this service, and even rental car companies’ own collision damage waiver often doesn’t.
- Sure’s Basic coverage provides a generous $100,000 for repair or replacement to the damaged vehicle. That’s enough to cover the full value of virtually any car you’ll find in any major rental fleet. Credit card coverage often caps out at half that figure or excludes larger SUVs, vans, trucks, and luxury cars, even if it’s a free upgrade.
- Sure is easy. It takes just a few moments to enter your information and choose the plan that best fits your needs.
- Sure is flexible. If your plans change, you can cancel your purchase at any time.
- And most importantly, Sure’s coverage is underwritten by Chubb, one of the world’s oldest, largest, and highest-rated insurance companies. You’ll know that your coverage is secure.
Upgrade For Extra Coverage
Sure has several different plans.After Basic, the next plan is the Platinum Plan, which starts at $6.50 per day (again, this price fluctuates slightly depending on your state) and includes:
- Coverage for tire damage. Very few personal auto insurers or credit card policies include tire coverage—and it’s one of the most common types of damage you might encounter in a rental car.
- Coverage for theft or damage to personal property. This can help you avoid paying a deductible (and filing a claim) on a homeowner’s or renter’s insurance policy.
- Reimbursement for lost keys. Given that a key replacement on a modern car can exceed $250 and that virtually no other coverage (even the rental company’s own) will cover this, this is a great benefit.
- Repairs if you fill the tank with the wrong type of fuel. Diesel in a gasoline engine can do a lot of damage, and no other coverage we’ve seen offers protection for this mistake.
Be aware that Sure does not include liability insurance. Sure is not a replacement for a third-party liability policy. Sure covers damage to your rental car only, not a third party’s property damage or bodily injury. (Your personal auto insurance policy may cover liability, or you can buy it at the rental counter if needed.)
You’ll want to review Sure’s policy details and terms and conditions. There may be limits on damage or loss, but we think Sure is better than most other insurance offerings out there.
Unfortunately, Sure is not available for residents of every state. Coverage is not available for drivers who live in New York, Massachusetts, South Carolina, Virginia and Washington. This restriction is tied to where you live. Residents from other states can be covered—even if they rent cars in these five states or drive into or through these states.
You also must have a U.S. address in order to sign up for coverage.
Get Covered for Less with Sure
Buying car rental insurance with Sure couldn’t be easier. Just fill out this brief form to make sure you’re eligible and then choose a plan.
We’re always happy to help you through the rental car process, and our expert team is standing by to answer any questions you have about getting the best deal on car rental insurance. Just know that we’re not licensed agents, so if you have specific questions about coverage, be sure to contact Sure directly.
Note: AutoSlash may receive compensation on purchases made from chosen links.