Last Updated on November 2, 2021 by Michael
Looking for military discounts for rental cars? Every major car rental firm offers them, but some discounts are better than others.
There’s only one discount program we recommend based on analyzing publicly available discounts.
USAA is the Gold Standard for Military Discounts
The United Services Automobile Association (USAA) is a financial services group with more than 13 million military members.
Service members and their immediate families can join USAA for free. Non-military folks can also join, but only service members can get car rental discounts. USAA rental car benefits are available at Avis, Budget, Enterprise, and Hertz. This is a terrific membership for drivers under age 25 and renters who want to avoid additional driver fees.
In addition, reservations with the USAA’s rate code have a $5,000 cap on financial liability for damage to the car. The rate code also waives Loss of Use charges.
For military families, it’s hard to beat USAA car rental discount. If you are a USAA member, make a quote request and then contact us so we can run the numbers to find the cheapest possible USAA rate.
Most major rental car companies are linked to Veterans Advantage, a membership discount program. The company has discount codes for Alamo, Avis, Budget, Dollar, Enterprise, Europcar, Hertz, National and Thrifty. These are the four companies that partner with the USAA, plus five additional companies.
Veterans Advantage has two membership types: free and paid. To get rental car discounts, you need the paid Veterans Advantage membership, which starts at $64.90 per year.
Rental car discounts alone are not a great reason to join Veterans Advantage. But like any other membership program, it can bring multiple other benefits.
The AutoSlash Advantage for Military Families
Our free service helps everyday military travelers get the best possible car rental rate. Even if you find a better Pay Later (“Free Cancellation”) rate elsewhere, ask us to track the price. We will send you an alert if we find a better rate.
Comparison of Military Rates on Car Rentals
- Alamo: Partners with Veterans Advantage
- Avis: Links to Veterans Advantage but partners with USAA
- Budget: Links to Veterans Advantage but partners with USAA
- Dollar: Partners with Veterans Advantage
- Enterprise: Partners with USAA and Veterans Advantage
- Europcar: Partners with Veterans Advantage
- Hertz: Partners with USAA and Veterans Advantage
- National: Partners with Veterans Advantage
- Payless: No program for military families
- Sixt: 5% military discount or 10% off through Veterans Advantage
- Thrifty: Partners with Veterans Advantage