Last Updated on July 9, 2023 by Michael
Car rental loyalty programs aren’t known for their incredible generosity, but once in a blue moon we see a promotion that really stands out and National’s annual One Two Free Promotion is that happy exception.
Every year, National offers an opportunity to earn a free day certificate for every two rentals you complete within the promo period—typically, it’s a six-month period from August to February.
National Car Rental’s Emerald Club program free rental days previously set to expire on Dec. 31, 2022 have been rolled over through Sept. 4, 2023. National also has extended “elite tier” status for qualifying loyalty program members. This includes National’s Emerald Club Executive and Executive Elite whose status was set to expire on February 28, 2023. Members who made at least one qualifying rental by the end of 2022 have had their elite status extended until February 28, 2024.
Background on National’s Emerald Club
Joining the National Emerald Club loyalty program is free and the first step to earning credits in the promotion. Benefits include the ability to:
- earn credits toward free days by renting through National Emerald Club
- get more points toward free days by renting through the promo
- earn even more points toward free days with bonus opportunities
With the Emerald Club program, you earn points toward free days based on the number of rentals and lengths of those rentals. The supplementary One Two Free promotion works a little differently, with every 600 points earning a promotional free rental day. For instance, a two-day rental of a midsize or larger car gives you 300 points, so two cheap weekends could add a free promotional day redeemable for a pricey future rental.
How to Make the Most of the One Two Free Promo
Once you register for the promotion, all you need to do is provide your National Emerald Club number at the time of booking. (When booking through AutoSlash, you can enter your Frequent Renter Number along with your name, e-mail address, and telephone number at the time of reservation.) All qualifying, completed reservations count for both Emerald Club and One Two Free award days. In addition to the rentals themselves, there are also bonus opportunities to earn points, with every 600 points equaling another free rental day.
The bonus options
- 25 points: one-time bonus when you download the National Car Rental app
- 50 points: complete a brief Emerald Club survey
- 75 points: reserve using the National Car Rental app and complete the rental
- 50 points: complete a rental using the app’s Emerald Checkout feature
- 50 points: one-time bonus when you opt in to receive Emerald Club emails
- 300 points: one-time bonus when you complete a rental in three different countries
- 75 points: one-time bonus when you complete any five available bonus opportunities
- 100 points: one-time bonus when you complete your third qualifying rental
- 200 points: rent with Enterprise Rent-A-Car at a neighborhood location (non-airport location). Limit to three bonuses for up to 600 points
- 100 points: one-time weekend bonus when you rent for 2-4 days with a Saturday night keep
- 300 points: one-time bonus when you add SiriusXM satellite radio to a qualifying rental
- 200 points: one-time weeklong bonus when you rent for five days or more
- 300 points: rent at participating locations in Latin America and the Caribbean
- 300 points: rent at participating locations in Europe (through Enterprise Rent-A-Car)
- 100 points: one-time bonus when you click on the Surprise bonus opportunity when available
These bonuses can also be stacked to get to the 600 points needed for a free day. A week-long qualifying National rental (300 points + 200 points), with email opt-in (50 points) and survey completion (50 points) immediately puts you at 600 points after a single rental. That’s a free day in the One Two Free promo alone, while the rental also counts toward a free day in the Emerald Club program.